Started Oct 23, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Carnivore99
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?
Safari advice
Oct 23, 2010

I'm leaving for Africa in three weeks and will be spending a few days on safari in Botswana's Okvango Delta and surrounding areas with my GH1. I had really hoped to get my hands on Panasonic's new 100-300mm lens in time for this trip, but that now seems unlikely. I just got a personal reply from someone at Panasonic Direct who has been working on this for me, advising that the ship date is now expected to be in December.

That leaves me wondering which long lens I should get instead to shoot wildlife. I'll probably be shooting stills as much as video, and would like to have a lens with AF functionality.

The Panny 45-200mm is obviously on the short list but I don't know if it's got the reach I'll need. I'm also considering the Olympus Zuiko standard four-thirds 70-300mm lens with Panny's DMW-MA1 adapter. I believe that combo provides AFS funtionality, but no image stabilization. Finally, I suppose I could try my Canon EOS 70-300mm IS lens with some adapter but I'm not even sure how well that would work. I assume that would be limited to wide-open, MF shooting without IS functionality, right?

Any thoughts or other suggestions? FWIW the only MFT lenses I own so far are the Panny 14-140mm and 20mm pancake.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow