Started Oct 22, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
July1910
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
Sigma 30/1.4 on a 60D?
Oct 22, 2010

Thinking about purchasing this lens almost exclusively for shooting at ƒ1.4 - 2 (indoor, low light, mostly portraiture of family and friends). Any other applications for the lens would be far down the list of priorities, so I'm not too concerned about corner softness, unremarkable sharpness when stopped down, or other common faults of the lens not related to low-light portraiture.

My primary reservations:

1. Incompatibility with the new 60D. I've heard that newer bodies may not be supported by third part lens manufacturers. Is this true?

2. Mis-focusing issues (exacerbated by the shallow DoF at which i'll primarily be using it.) Is there really an issue with AF reliability, or do we think most of the cries of misfocus are actually due to user-error at ƒ1.4?

3. Barrel distortion. Could this easily be corrected by DPP, or do they only provide lens profiles for canon lenses?

4. I've never shot with a lens this fast, and i'm worried ƒ1.4 will produce too shallow a DoF for portraiture.

I'm vacillating between the sigma and the canon 35/2, which suffers from none of the above problems... but, it lacks the oh-so appealing lure of ƒ1.4, the main reason i lust for the sigma!

I realize there's been a recent thread on the topic, and i've searched the forums extensively. If anyone has any experience with use on a 60D, or some examples of portraiture shot at ƒ1.4, or any thoughts on the above concerns, i'd love to see them / hear about it!

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow