Started Oct 21, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DrugaRunda
Senior MemberPosts: 2,592Gear list
Like?
DxO lens comparometer: 16-50* vs EF-S 17-55 vs DX 17-55
Oct 21, 2010

Not sure if this was discussed here already, but i just came accross it and it was interesting enough to waste some time on

http://dxomark.com/index.php/en/Lens-with-Camera/Compare-lenses/%28lens1%29/179/%28lens2%29/169/%28lens3%29/173/%28onglet%29/0/%28brand%29/Pentax/%28brand2%29/Canon/%28brand3%29/Nikkor

(this is the best link I could post, and by default it opens on 7D for Canon, and D300 for Nikon, which respectively give better results for Canon, and worse for Nikon... you can try out other cameras in the drop down, or the ones I suggested below)...

Much complained about DA*16-50mm is in there, and suprise suprise, it is very similar to more expensive Nikon and Canon counterparts, when used on similar bodies. (ie K20D vs Canon 50D vs Nikon D90). In their testing using higher res body gives better res numbers, thus better rating, like using 7D for Canon...

In any case on comparable bodies, with costing almost half from the Nikon variant and 50% less than Canon one, also being lighter, weather sealed and 1mm wider... it only meaningfully measures worse on CA than the other two...

As I do not own this lens and given overall rough acceptance here and relatively bad rep on this forum, I am suprised with with such results which are in line with the other two "big" brands. For the other two despite of similar performance you generally hear just good stuff about them, so I expected more from them in this comparison...

It can also be argued that what they have there is very "relative" as improving the camera, it improves the lens score significantly... still in that sense it mimics "real life" as none of us use the lens without the camera to put it on

-- hide signature --

common sense is anything but common

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow