Started Oct 20, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
filmrescue
Contributing MemberPosts: 647
Like?
My second Epson 3800 for the trash
Oct 20, 2010

I believe that Epson needs to look into their approach and pricing for their printers and ink because their approach is only filling landfills with unnecessary junk and the recoures to produce these printers are being completely wasted.

I have an Epson 3800 that just started putting up the error code 1601. There is no local service for this printer so I will need to send it off and shipping with return will be over 100 dollars. The error code 1601 means that the paper width sensor is malfunctioning. I imagine it is a simple repair but the Epson Service center charges 150 per hour with a minimum charge of one hour. I'm up to an absolute minimum now of 250 dollars to get this thing fixed and that's if it only takes them and hour and I need no parts.

I can get a new 3880 from B&H with the rebate for a little over 800 dollars. A set of ink for this printer at 60 dollars a cartridge (x9) plus the maintenance cartridge for 20 dollars equals 560 dollars. 560 plus the minimum 250 dollar repair oddly equals exactly the same price as a brand new printer so where is the motivation to not just ditch this thing and buy a brand new unit. After all I get a complete new set of inks along with my ink out of my old printer (yeah...I know the magenta won't work).

If Epson cares at all about being green then they need to raise the price of their printers and lower the price of their ink. There's no way that a milliliter of ink costs 75 cents and I think it's unlikely that the materials and technology in an Epson 3880 cost as little 238 dollars (the difference between the full printer price and the inks that come with the printer). Until this happens there is not motivation to do anything but toss these things out even if the repair is small.

I'd gladly pay three times the amount for my Epson printers and three times less for the ink.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow