Started Oct 19, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CoolHandLu
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?
Timing is everything!!!
Oct 19, 2010

This morning I found myself standing in front of my car trying to decide whether to go back in the house and get my new D700 for the big 2 minute drive to Starbucks. I finally stop procrastinating, figure what the hell, so I run back to the house, grab my new D700 and step back outside just in time to see this hawk swoop by my front door and land in a tree right in front of my house, not 20 feet from were I was standing! Had the 70-300 VR on the body (wish I had taken my D300s! ugh!) and was able to snap this one pic before the raptor took off. The whole episode, from bird flying by, landing, and taking off again, was maybe 10 seconds.

The pic is nothing to write home about, heavily cropped . . . but I thought the timing was hilarious. 5 more seconds either way and I would have completely missed this bird. And I've NEVER seen a hawk in my neighborhood prior to this morning.

Question - can anyone ID this hawk? Is it a Coopers Hawk?
Thanks!
Brian

-- hide signature --

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality
through not dying. (Woody Allen)

CoolHandLu's gear list:CoolHandLu's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +18 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow