Can guest photographers get better pics than the hired pro??

Started Oct 19, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kms
kms
Regular MemberPosts: 307
Like?
Can guest photographers get better pics than the hired pro??
Oct 19, 2010

I was severely limited at the first wedding I shot this past weekend. The Priest at the church told me the only place I could take photos was in the balcony of a very large dimly lit church. Most of the time I'm perfectly ok without using flash during the ceremony. This church had pretty spotty lighting and I'm going to have to spend a little more time than normal in photoshop. I'm on the balcony shooting at ISO 3200 and there are guests in the church with canon rebels snapping away with 580ex. I'm always prepared to operate under any circumstance I am given and look to respect the rules of each church I shoot in. Guests usually aren't limited by the same set of instructions nor are given a set of rules to follow. Assuming the guests know how to shoot and process their photos (most likely not but by the looks of their equipment they should) I'm going to have a tough time making mine stand out given the set of rules I followed.

Are there any photographers out there that would have left the balcony to 'get the shots' or let their flash 'accidentally fire' once or twice during the ceremony?

One of the guests at the second wedding I shot this past weekend had a 1ds Mark III on a tripod with a 70-200IS 2.8 (version II of course) mounted. He was taking photos with a cable release! Cable release and IS for an outdoor wedding at noon?? We both shared a moment and looked at each other and my response was 'nice equipment'. I was roaming about with my 5D mark II with 35L and another body with my 70-200. It didn't bother me at all since he wasn't jumping in front of me and the B&G should get some pretty sharp images from his vantage point!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow