7D and 5D

Started Oct 16, 2010 | Discussions thread
Abbott Schindler
Senior MemberPosts: 2,390
Like?
Re: One place you could start
In reply to PhotogirlY, Oct 18, 2010

Thanks for sharing your lens collection with us. I needed that bit of info.

I would think that your 24-70 on the 7D would be delightful for portraits. Normally I'd opt for something in the 100-200mm range, but I think for getting started, your gear will be good. Explore what you can do with shallow DoF and read up a bit on portrait composition.

I've seen images from 5DII, 7D, 1DIV. Of the three, the 7D probably has the poorest image quality, but only by a tad , and it's certainly much better than what a lot of pros were able to get just a couple of years ago. We often place too much emphasis on gear (especially the camera body) and not enough on the photographer's skills. Given your current gear, I think you should stop being so hard on yourself about your camera and focus on learning what you have. Later, if you desire, you could buy a 5DII (or whatever) and keep the 7D for a backup.

But really: start shooting Raw, or explore the JPEG picture style settings if you prefer JPEG. Then get out and shoot to understand different angles (perspective), DoF, and other compositional and lighting elements. I think your perspective on "5D vs 7D" is likely to change a bit.

Abbott

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow