Night sky shot question and tripod mounting.

Started Oct 18, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
octomobiki
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
Night sky shot question and tripod mounting.
Oct 18, 2010

equipment - 60d - f/2.8 IS MI 70-200mm - sunpak tri/monopod

a few questions here. I'd like to take some more night shots. (just starting really) and was fishing for a few tips.

1. Keep aperture as wide open as possible right?

2. The camera body and lens, there are 2 mounting points, on the body and the adapter that comes with the lens. Should I be mounting on the lens itself or is that for a dual tripod mount (does that even exist)

3. I took a picture of Orion's belt tonight and got these...colors. Seems kinda strange. I am extremely pleased that they actually came out as CIRCLES, to which I did not expect, but the blue color is kinda making me scratch my head. any experienced guys want to throw some thoughts out about it?

Picking up a 2.0x teleconverter, I took a shot of Jupter tonight and got 4 additional dots that I could not see with the naked eye. again shocked. I'm thinking I got some of the larger moons, maybe next weekend if the cold clear air is my friend again I'll take some closer shots of Jupiter while its still around. (shooting from 70 miles directly north of NYC)

Are there any other tips in general for shooting a night sky I should be aware of? I'm keeping it on 100iso, as I'm thinking since I'm on a tripod, I can simply just bump up shutter more if I need to. Am i going into this thinking correctly?

thanks for any and all pointers/thoughts.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow