Started Oct 17, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sunhorse
Senior MemberPosts: 1,465Gear list
Like?
Micro Nikkor 55 on a NEX-5 (5 IMGs)
Oct 17, 2010

What do you do when it's raining all day and you don't feel like going anywhere? You dig out your 36 year old Nikkor lens and use it on a NEX! I bought a Voigtlander F mount to E mount adapter. It's rock solid, though a little pricey at about $160 here in Bangkok.

I bought this lens in 1974 or so. This is the Micro Nikkor PC 55mm F3.5 second generation version (non-AI). Kept it all these years because it is such an incredibly sharp, compact and light lens for its day. How would it do on a modern camera like the NEX?

It was satisfying to see to see this lens perform so well. It is very sharp with excellent contrast across the frame. Bear in mind that these are all hand-held shots, so camera shake was a factor as well as the shallow DOF at these distances. Tripod mounted shots could be even better.

The best part is that this version is available on Ebay today for about $50 or so - a real bargain! Later F2.8 versions are also available for about $150 and up.

So if you're looking to do some macro work with a low cost legacy lens with great optics, you can't go wrong with this one.

I will also try out some other legacy lenses including the famous Vivitar Series 1 90mm macro.

Here goes:

This last image was taken with a late (2006) Nikon 50 f1.8D lens. It is also an excellent performer with loads of contrast and sharpness, especially when stopped down to about 5.6. This lens can be had from Ebay for about $90 or so.

sunhorse's gear list:sunhorse's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon 1 V1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +6 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow