Started Oct 17, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gipper51
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,090Gear list
Like?
Sorry, gotta rant a bit...
Oct 17, 2010

My journey as a new Canon user has been a rocky one, and today it got worse.

Here's my short story:

My Sony system gets stolen in a home break-in back in July, insurance comes through and I make the switch to Canon with a 1Ds , 20D and a few lenses. The 1Ds is a low mileage unit I got locally, about as clean a copy as you'll find for a 8 year old camera, the 20D is well used as I picked it up cheap just for a temporary backup till I can afford a second FF cam. Two weeks ago my 1Ds dies while on a paid gig (error 99). My 20D saves my bacon that day thank goodness. Off the camera goes for repair through a Mack warranty, it's still at their facility.

While waiting for my 1Ds to be fixed, I purchase an excellent+ (their rating) 5D from Adorama that arrived 3 days ago. I want (need) two FF cameras anyway and financially it was good timing. I shoot architecture gigs alot and my 17-40 is only so useful on the 20D. The 5D looks absolutely like new without a scratch, box and all original goodies, I'm thrilled. The camera has not had the mirror fix but I figure I can hold out till this winter or at least till the 1Ds is back before I send it in...WRONG! Today on another paid gig the mirror comes flying off. Again, the 20D saves the day for me.

I was ready to say many explicitive words towards the new 5D but I was on a portrait shoot with clients, I kept my cool and casually reached for the backup. I laughed it off just so they don't get nervous but I was ready to throw the thing. I've put a whopping 200 frames on it and the mirror dislodges. The damn mirror has stayed on for at least 3 years of use and it couldn't give me two weeks till I get my 1Ds before it decides to take a $h1t. It feels like a kick in the balls.

Right now I'm frustrated as hell with Canon. I mean c'mon, TWO FRICKIN BODIES dead in two weeks!!?? I've got another large architecture job the end of this month and frankly I can't afford ANOTHER camera. The 20D alone won't get this job done, I'll be renting if I don't get at least one of my bodies back in the next 12 days. Yes I know gear failure is a risk that's taken with any camera (especially used) but this sure isn't what I was anticipating by investing in high end Canon gear. I'll get back two repaired cameras I'll be gun shy of for a while...wondering if they're fixed for sure or ready to crap out again, that's confidence inspiring. On a postive note, the roughed up 20D hasn't missed a beat.

OK, rant over...now I gotta pack this POS up to get in the mail to Canon on Monday

gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
p.s.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow