Started Oct 16, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ebrandon
Regular MemberPosts: 448Gear list
Like?
Another 28-300 test
Oct 16, 2010

I just posted a lot of samples from the 28-300 VRII here http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/946569/

I was going to post all the same images here, but after finishing the post at Fredmiranda that seems like too much work.

My take-aways were:

• This is a pretty good lens -- yielding acceptable images wide open and good images at f8 or f11 on my D3

• It's surprisingly contrasty with decent color rendition

• CA is very well controlled

• The VR II works much better than I expected, with images in the viewfinder stabilizing amazingly well

• The close-up abilities of the lens are very surprising in the field, you can get right up to stuff and it's no issue at all

• The bokeh is surprisingly nice

• It's pleasing to use, focusing smartly and accurately the first time, and with a nice stiff, but not too stiff, zoom ring

The main drawback is that when I first looked at the RAW images (with 0 sharpening) they looked quite soft. But they "take sharpening" very well, and with about 40 points of sharpening in LR3, they look a lot like pictures taken with my better lenses and 20 points of sharpening.

ebrandon's gear list:ebrandon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Nikon D600 Canon EOS 6D +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow