Started Oct 16, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
UnderDriven
Senior MemberPosts: 1,052Gear list
Like?
DSLR MLU in Live View?
Oct 16, 2010

Yes, I am one of the small number of photographers who use Live View extensively. There isn't much choice since I use a Sony R1 for much of my photography, but for most of the shots I take live view makes sense: static landscape or still life shots, on a tripod, no mirror movement to worry about. Unfortunately, my R1 is getting old (flakey control wheel) and the DR is not great. I would like to move to a DSLR that has a good live view implementation (if I can find one). Nikon was my first choice, but I have now discovered that Nikon cameras move the mirror when photographing in live view mode. I understand that on some cameras the mirror and shutter mechanisms are linked, but apparently even on Nikon models that can do proper MLU the mirror moves in live view. This makes no sense to me, but that's the way it is (also Nikon does not offer a live histogram in live view for anything other than their top pro models which is another negative).

So, my question is: does any DSLR keep the mirror locked up in live view mode?

Cheers, Keith
http://www.kotay.net/keith/photo/photo.shtml

UnderDriven's gear list:UnderDriven's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD14 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A57 +9 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow