How would you set your camera for an Autumn Japan visit?

Started Oct 16, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hiki08
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
How would you set your camera for an Autumn Japan visit?
Oct 16, 2010

It's been a while since I've been able to visit this forum after quite a busy few months. I'm planning on a trip to Osaka and Kyoto in Japan in November (Autumn) and am looking for any advice on photography techniques/camera settings to make the most of the short trip...

At the moment I'm with my 10-month old 500D with 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 lense and lensehood. In July, I was wondering whether the lensehood would interfere with the built-in flash.

I don't have Photoshop and rely on Canon's DPP program for editing. Just wondering whether I should take all the photos in the standard setting and then come back to edit things like saturation, contrast etc? I would imagine the colours to be quite vibrant during this time of year - the reds, yellows and greens of nature, as well as of shrines. I'm not quite sure how to take advantage of the different pallets available preset on the camera (plus the manual options) or any other way to grab some nice photos while I'm there. I shoot with AV the vast majority of the time, although it's stuck at f/3.5 more often than not just to make sure I don't blur the focused subject, and moved to f/10 or so when there's adequate light and I want to minimise vignetting. I want more bokeh but f/3.5 isn't giving me enough..

Browsing the forums I've noticed a few people having visited Japan recently. I was hoping to gather some opinions from more experienced photographers?

Thanks!!

As a side note, after using the lense hood for a few months now I'll just confirm with anyone interested that it does block out the built-in flash slightly for subjects approximately 3 metres away at 25mm. Anyhow, I'm considering investing in an external flash because I've experienced a number of circumstances where I just couldn't get the picture right because of a very bright background with a dark fore-ground of people... obviously I'd want to see the people's faces so I used the built-in flash, but the photo ended up very bright overall (especially the background). Thinking of the 430EX (though I'd really like a bounce-card like the one on 580EX II).

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow