Started Oct 15, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Matt Daniels
Forum MemberPosts: 70
Like?
E30 color shift - What's going on here?
Oct 15, 2010

I'm a former E-1 user and got a lot of great years out of that doing a lot of automotive photography, including races. I then starting using the E500 I had bought for my wife because I wanted the higher resolution and slowly stopped using the E-1.

For the past 2 years, I've been taking photos of my daughters volleyball games. Needless to say, the E500 (nor the E-1, the 1 or 2 times I tried using it) wasn't really up to the task to capture the real action, so all my photos started to look the same with the girls just standing around... With her now playing in high-school, I thought I would try and take this photography to the next level.

So, I decided to bite the bullet and try out an E30. I bought a used one off eBay that came with a battery grip for a good price. I've only had it for a little over a week and have shot two nights of sophomore, JV & Varsity games. The E30 shows promise, but I'm thinking if I'm going to start taking this type of in-door sports photography seriously, I may have to be thinking of a different brand....

But that's beside the point. With the E30, I've noticed a weird color shift between two consecutive frames. Two shots are below (these photos suck, but they show off this color shift pretty well).

You can see that the color of the players in the foreground is considerably different in the two photos. Both have the exact same settings - white balance, shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc. It almost looks like there is a new light source in the 2nd photo.

If this was just one random set of photos, I wouldn't be too concerned, but I have dozens of examples from gyms at two different schools.

I'm thinking it's the lighting in the gyms that is the problem - my guess is there is some sort of "pulsing" going on that isn't apparent to the naked eye. I never saw this type of color shift with the E500, even in the same gym as these photos were taken in. But, I was having to use a slower shutter speed with the E500, so maybe it wasn't as apparent.

Anyway, any thoughts on this color shift would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully this isn't too big of a noob question (feel free to rip into me if it is, but at least explain the phenomenon to me first).

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow