ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
whyyouareeye
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?
Current opinions on best portable external HDs
Oct 15, 2010

2 Questions:

1) I've been out of the loop for a while regarding external storage (it's been a slow year so haven't needed the extra space but alas, now I do). I'm looking for a portable drive that can be powered via USB 2.0 (ie no additional power source needed). I'd prefer 1TB so it is easier to integrate into my existing system (ie for backup purposes - I usually buy at least two if not three at a time aiming to have 3 copies at all times).

Which current brand and models are you hearing good/bad things about? From my limited research so far, i'm looking at the Toshiba Canvio 1TB, selling for $119 from Newegg at the moment (though it used to be $99). Suggestions for others to consider? My main requirement is for it to be portable and USB powered.

2) I still will need some regular external HDs (3.5") to back these up and thus am also looking for the current thoughts on those too. Again, 1TB is the size that is easiest to integrate with my current setup. I figure since the portable drives are going to be used for just that, they're also at a higher failure rate and thus need an "at home" back-up.

Thanks!

Yuri
--
The world is a book, and those that do not travel read only a page.

http://www.yurihorowitz.com

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow