Started Oct 15, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jjoohhnnnny
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
canon g9 upgrade
Oct 15, 2010

I have owned a g9 for 3 years and want to upgrade to a camera with a larger sensor for better images, particularly for low / indoor and evening light conditions. I have a young child that I would also like to capture. I like the feel of the g9 (weight and solid build) and have been satisfied with the photos taken in decent light and outdoors withe the g9 but want to get better images and learn more. I have played with the g9's manual settings but have not gotten very far.

I started to go down the route of getting a nikon, perhaps a d5000 thinking i really needed to get an SLR for its manual controls and sensor size but started to discover the m 4/3 cameras as they are smaller and i would probably be more willing to carry it around. I plan to keep the g9 busy too.

A friend recently switched over from a nikon d40 to a pan. gf1 and loves it for its better portability and pic quality. i have been to a few local shops to take a look and picked up the gf1 as well as elp1 and gh2 ( i would opt for the g2 over the gh2 but the store did not have the g2 in their shelf). the gh2 ergonomics felt better but i appreciate the smaller size of the other 2 knowing it will be more portable, even if just slightly so. i also see that the gh2 is not drastically smaller than the d5000. i have read that the olympus m43s are better in low light because of the ibis but without having both to test its hard to know how big of a difference it will make as i am interested in the fast AF of the pan.

Ultimately, whether i get the gf1, g2, olympus or even d5000 i would like to have a pancake lens in addition to a 14-45 or sim lens.

I realize that they will all be better than the g9 but it seems to be the old question of portability vs image quality/sensor size.

any input is appreciated,

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow