Started Oct 14, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DRode
Senior MemberPosts: 2,815
Like?
How to remove purplish-blue halo
Oct 14, 2010

This is a common issue for me when shooting night time football. I'm shooting wide open at very high ISO with a D300s and and 80-200 f/2.8. My first thought is that it was CA and ought to be correctable without too much fuss with one of the many lens correction filter I have. PTlLens, ACR, LR3 and the CS5 lens correction filter all fail to help.

Note that there is not only purple/blue "fringing" on the border between the BG and the helmet/uniform but also the all of the blur uniform details have glowing edges. The trim around the collar is a great example. the real color is the darker navy blue in the interior, not the brighter blue to the outside.

While it's most apparent on the white borders, I very often find it other places like on the upper arm just below the blur trim.

I'd like to find an faster simpler way in CS5 (or Lightroom) to remove/reduce this halo or fringe or whatever it is. Right now, the most effective method is a fair bit of clone stamp work and even some work with a brush with the mode set to "color" and black or navy blue paint.

This is a 100% crop of an image taken at ISO 5000, f/2.8. It's pretty representative of what I see regularly. This one leans more toward purple, others are more blue.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow