Started Oct 13, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tianium
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,230
Like?
D3100 samples good but not that good.
Oct 13, 2010

All this talk about how good the D3100 is (some trying to compare it to the D700) is getting a bit over the top. I must say from what I have seen and read so far its good but not that good.

The Imaging Resource has D3100 samples up on their comparometer. I ran the comparison between the D3100 and the D90 (go have a look), and I must say that there is slightly less noise in the high ISO samples, but less detail as well. Looks to me to be slightly better NR, (better and stronger colour NR getting rid of a bit of blotchyness) probably with the new EXPEED 2 chip. But IMHO the differences are really minor, and probably less than 1/2 stop. It would be interesting to compare RAW samples. I think there would be very little difference at all.

Thom Hogan has an initial opinion on the D3100 as well.
Saying

"Despite the push to a new 14mp sensor, it seems to beat the old 12mp sensor cameras in my low light tests (but only by a small amount)."

He also says that it in terms of still picture quality it is quite a step up from the D40 D40x D60 D3000 especially at high ISOs.

So yes it apears as a very good upgrade to the D3000, But a D5000 killer it probably isn't.

I wonder if the D7000 will be any better....
Guess we will have to wait for the full reviews.

Darin

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow