Started Oct 12, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim Scarff
Regular MemberPosts: 304Gear list
Like?
Canon EOS 60D full review up at Cameralabs.com
Oct 12, 2010

A fairly comprehensive review of the 60D that compares it explicitly to the 50D, the 7D, the Rebel 550D/T2i and the Nikon D7000.

(DPReview apparently "blocks" the URL of Cameralabs, but you can probably figure it out. )

The reviewer concludes that the 60D has little to offer a 50D owner looking to upgrade: "As for existing EOS 50D owners looking for an overall upgrade across the board, forget about the EOS 60D and head straight for the EOS 7D instead."

Disclosure: - I own a 50D and a 7D. I love the 7D, and have had the 50D since it first came out. I use the 50D now as a backup camera on travel and also to have as a camera with a different lens (e.g. a super-tele on the 7D and either a 18-200 or 100-400 IS on the 50D). I was/am looking at probably selling the 50D and getting a 60D (while, of course keeping my 7D). To me the appeal of the 60D are:

• lighter weight (but the Cameralab review says

"So technically the EOS 60D certainly is lighter than the EOS 50D, but we were hard pushed to notice the 57g difference in use. Sure, the EOS 60D is noticeably lighter than the EOS 7D, and conversely, noticeably heavier than the EOS 550D / T2i, but when compared side-by-side with the EOS 50D, there's really not much in it."

• articulated screen for shots not at eye-level and video

• video capability.

• extra MP - not a big deal, but I shoot wildlife that is often distant and small in the image, so I crop a lot.

Now, for the flood of comments!

Jim Scarff's gear list:Jim Scarff's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D +9 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow