Using silkypix etc

Started Sep 9, 2010 | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,797Gear list
Like?
Re: Folders etc
In reply to sjprg, Oct 12, 2010

sjprg wrote:

Hi Guy; Looks like we have been around computers for about the same time. I was working on some of the first systems used on the Enterprise in 1963.

Yes, 1963 I started with National Cash Register working on a vacuum tube computer that filled a big room. Had about the computing power of my wristwatch and burned something like 10 KW of power to run it.

I add a yearly master to my files also. I.E. 2009 Master with the 2009_05_30 Yosemite under the master. Helps break down the years. Try the new Western Digital USB 3.0 1 TB external drives for backup. Their great used with a plugin PCIE card and Microsoft's free Synctoy 2.1.

I use FastStone Viewer to create a dated folder structure and add descriptions later, here's look at one of my backup drives....

The year 2001 is junk from someone else's camera that didn't have the date set properly, mine started from December 2002.

For us that dated structure works nicely, the only consideration is to synchronise clocks on the cameras so files fall into place properly when looked at in date/time order, can be 3 or 4 cameras muddled into one folder.

As for backups I use the paid version of Syncback http://www.2brightsparks.com and do an auto backup of any changes every 30 minutes. And auto backups happen across my network to other drives if they happen to be turned on. Everything that matters is kept in about 5 different drives as backups.

Regards........... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow