Need a good 85mm lens...Is this it?

Started Sep 26, 2010 | Discussions thread
Anthony Cheh
Senior MemberPosts: 2,436
Like?
Old and New Nikon 85 1.4 vs. Canon 85 1.2 L
In reply to KristiK, Oct 11, 2010

I previously had two copies of the 85 1.4 D Nikon (older) and two copies of the Canon 85 1.2L (First (slower focusing) AF version).

At least to my eye, with my samples, the Canon is somewhat sharper wide open and at the edges than the older Nikon. The older Nikon 85 1.4 isn't known for sharpness at the corners of full frame. Once you reach f/4 the two are pretty much equal in sharpness with the slightly different "look" that characterizes each company's different "take" on color and contrast rendition.

I haven't tried the new 85 1.4 Nikon G AF-S, but, while reports I've heard from people who see pretty well indicate the new Nikon closes most of the gap, the Canon is still ever so slightly better at 1.4 and 2.

The Canon is a beast though; heavy and large and even the newer version focuses somewhat slowly because the rear focusing unit is so heavy. The new Nikon is also noticeably bigger and heavier than the older version.

Here is a link to a Polish photo site (English language version) test of the new 85 1.4 AF-S Nikon, with comparisons to the Canon 85 1.2 L, Zeiss 85 1.4 and Samyang 85 1.4:

http://lenstip.com/264.1-Lens_review-Nikon_Nikkor_AF-S_85_mm_f_1.4G-Introduction.html

Preliminary feedback on the new 85 1.4 AF-S Nikkor seems to be really good. One of the more discerning members of this forum, Another Mike, has a very high regard for the new lens.

Hope this helps.

Tony

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow