The Leica Look? One for your consideration (1 img), comments & sharing encouraged

Started Oct 11, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ashwinrao1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,717
Like?
The Leica Look? One for your consideration (1 img), comments & sharing encouraged
Oct 11, 2010

I have debated, on my own and with others, just what this means. Yesterday, when speaking with a pro photographer at a sporting event, he remarked, on hearing that I owned a Leica, that he had once owned an M3 and summicron, and felt that there was something indefineable, some clarity or "glow" or what have you, that Leica lenses in part on the images seen, somthing that makes the photo uniquely "Leica". He currently shoots with Canon pro gear, as it suits his needs, but that misty far away look in his eyes suggested that he wished to have his M3 back. He went so far as to say that looking at a series of images, he could typically tell what images came from Leica.

Last night, on returning home, I grazed through some images taken earlier in the evening, and came accross this one (processed in LR 3). There's a certain roundedness, a certain 3 dimensionality, a certain sharpness in the focused areas and softness in the background, that's hard to find elsewhere. By no means do I mean toi present this image as an example remarkable photography. Rather, to me, there's something here in which I clearly see the " Leica Look "....

This image was taken with modern glass, the Summilux 50 asph, on the M9. It's a well corrected lens, though it was shot wide open (thus revealing some of its slight aberrations). By no means does this lens exhibit blooming, flare, or low contrast, all of which have been ascribed as imparting the "Leica glow"....rather, there's something else here....

Anyways, I am surprised that, given the number of threads on this topic, that Leica hasn't embraced this concept, from a marketing perspective, to sell more gear or to further impart the mystique that is so much of the Leica logos...What a catchy phrase, "that Leica look", could be, when printed on a brochure. Maybe it's collective mass hysteria on our parts, or our subjective over-rationalization and over-dramatization to justify an expensive purchase....I have tried to see past these things, and still feel that Leica offers something unique, and it's in the glass and how the glass interacts with film and the M8/9 sensors. It's there, hidden in the details, yet so obvious that we are drawn to it.....right?

Sooooo, what do you guys think? Any thoughts? Any examples that you wanna share? I think that there may be a chance to come up with something need here, and hope you guys have thoughts to share...

The best to you all!
Ashwin

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow