ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BuonRotto
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?
Lens Advice for European Trip
Oct 9, 2010

Hi All,

My wife and I are planning a vacation to Spain and Italy in the spring next year. I'm a huge advocate of packing light and being mobile for the trip, and that of course applies to my camera gear as well. I already know that I won't bother bribing my big tripod and external flash.

I have an e620, the two kit lenses (14-42mm f3.5-5.6, 40-150mm f4-5.6), the 9-18mm, 25mm pancake, and 35mm macro.  I might think about the 70-300mm for the trip.  I'm trying to decide two things. On the wide end, would it be lighter and easier to take the kit 14-42, or would I miss the reach of the 9-18 and the inconspicuousness of the pancake? On the Lin end, would the 40-150 cover my needs, or would the 70-300 be worth saving for? If I do the two non kit zooms, I would be missing a portrait lens (the 9-18 can cover street shooting at the 18mm end I think), so I would need the 35mm macro.

So my options are:
1. Kit 14-42 and kit 40-150 (lightest)
2. Kit 14-42 and 70-300
3. 9-18, plus pancake and 40-150 (most versatile)
4. 9-18 plus 35mm and 70-300 (most reach)

I think option 4 is too cumbersome. Option two would require yet another purchase. I'm leaning towards option 1 but I would miss the UWA lens since we are not only doing the cities but some hiking too.Option 2 seems like the most flexible but it may be too inconvenient to carry and switch out three lenses.

Anyone have any experience, anecdotes, sage wisdom or dire warnings for or against one of these setups? I know I'll miss something with any choice, but what would I be misdoing the most if I left it home?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow