Started Oct 9, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SpikeTheGlynn
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
Kit 55-200 versus Beercan?
Oct 9, 2010

I hope the experienced shooters here can give their opinions on the relative merits of the current kit 55-200mm versus the Minolta 70-210 F4 (beercan).

The background is that I'm entering the realms of DSLR and have been doing some serious reading in the past month+. My intention is to pickup an A55.

One of the major roles for the camera will be taking outdoor soccer shots (my son, daughter, and even myself [when my wife is using the camera]). As such I want a longer lens and based on my current budget (yes, I'd love the 2.8 out to 200mm or beyond lenses...probably later) I'm currently considering the two afore-mentioned lenses - The Sony 55-200 kit and the beercan.

dyxum reviews seem to rate both lenses quite well. There appears an advantage with the beercan that its the constant F4 right out to 200mm. On the other hand its always a bit of an unknown quantity buying a 2nd hand lens (the beercan). Further, pricewise (being as the 55-200 would come as part of the kit) they're not that different.

So, giving your druthers, which would you choose and why (helps my understanding)? Indeed, would there be any reason to have both?

Thanks for your help!,
Spike

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow