Started Oct 8, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SimonV
Regular MemberPosts: 182Gear list
Like?
EF 70-200 F4 IS vs. 135 f/2 L
Oct 8, 2010

I've lately been planning a switch to new lenses from my 28-300L lens, which is good, but I want more IQ and sharpness. I've been looking at the EF 70-200 F4 IS, and lately also the 135 f/2 L. While I understand these are quite different lenses, I'm having trouble choosing. I've read alot about both and understand that the 70-200 F4 IS is pretty much perfect at what it does.

However, for instance browsing pictures taken with the 70-200 and the 135 on flickriver.com, there are some great shots with the 70-200, but the bokeh and overall IQ of the 135 seems quite astonishing. The real WOW-moments were almost always from the 135 shots. I have seen some really nice shots here on the forums with the 70-200 though.

My biggest issue with the 135L is that I'm uncertain how it will behave without IS. I have some experience, but not enough to really know this stuff by heart. I could use my lens at 135 and try, but I can't get it to f/2 so a comparison would be tricky. I have a 50 mm 1.8 but that's significantly shorter. So, how tricky is the 135L in not middle-of-the-day brightness? Is the 135 too long for handheld shots at f/2 at night (city lights)?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow