Owners of the Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 ...

Started Oct 6, 2010 | Discussions thread
kymarto
Contributing MemberPosts: 631
Like?
Re: Owners of the Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 ...
In reply to SnowWorld, Oct 8, 2010

I have owned the Sigma 10-20, Tokina 11-16 and the 8-16. The 8-16 is head and shoulders above the other two, and definitely superior to the Canon 10-22 in almost any aspect you care to name. I found that a small autofocus fine-tune helped overall with slight softness in the corners caused by field curvature. This is a weakness of all UWAs with a lot of complex optics. You'll find that the corners and the center achieve sharpest focus only at one point. As you move away from that the corners blur faster than the center. So when I focus (usually manually), I carefully check the corners of frame for best focus. The center remains sharp.

Resistance to flare, CA control, sharpness and saturation are all excellent--better than other lenses of this type. Distortion is actually well controlled, though you might notice a bit of wavy distortion near the borders.

I do a lot of HDR work, and this brings out the worst in any lens. I have been very happy with the 8-16 in this regard. Here are some full-rez samples, including a couple of ordinary snaps just to check sharpness across frame (also I notice that the first HDR is not full size):

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow