Started Oct 8, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tonybl
Regular MemberPosts: 388
Like?
Brilliant fake Canon lenses !
Oct 8, 2010

I have just come back from a trip to the Far East, in particular Hong Kong, (not my first visit) and discovered amazing fake Canon lenses sold in for example Nathan Street, that look genuine. They look like the real thing, including the packaging, appear to work with my camera bodies, except you then find there is no warrantee or guarantee documentation, and close inspection shows a few funnies. The sellers use all sorts of tactics to get you to buy, but one has to be strong.

Being in Hong Kong you are always aware of the fakes whether Rolex watches, iphones or Gucci hand bags, but I had no idea about these “A1” lens fakes lenses, until a particular shop showed me both the genuine article and the fake together. There are even fake ipads goings around. There is a price differential which should alert you, any lens price that is less than say the typical USA price is a good warning. The fakes are only priced about 5 to 10% below US prices, and then they try to entice you with a 10 to 20% reduction. Be warned.

Bottom line there are no unbelievable deals, if it sounds too good to be true it is. However the look and feel of the fakes lenses, this shook me totally, and I even wondered about how genuine the "genuine" article was. A good test, was the ability of the lens to work and register properly with my 7D, and show correct EXIF with serial numbers etc.

Be careful.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow