Started Oct 6, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bloodycape
Senior MemberPosts: 1,426Gear list
Like?
Thinking of the long run?
Oct 6, 2010

I know people ask similar questions like this all the time, but each person different than the next in their needs.

I was set on the getting the G10 at the $409 price when it was on sale, but now it is up to $452($380 if I go open box amazon, with a blemish on main unit), which is still pretty cheap, but at the price I can spend a little more and get the E-PL1. I know all the difference in IQ, features, and played with both a good bit in store. But, now I guess comes the question of which is better in the long run in terms of expanding my skills, and keeping cost lower.

Either will be fine for me needs in terms of IQ, plus with raw and PS I can fix an image(to a certain point) if I didn't like the jpeg output. I like the interface and the handling of the G10 vs E-PL1, but then prefer the size of the E-PL1 more. However, I do get the EVF built in in the G10, which I like and use on my previous S2IS, plus lowers cost in the long run. But, does that all make a difference if I keep wanting to improve my photo skills? I know the built in EVF will keep the cost low, but then the lack of IBIS on the G10 would likely mean I would have to go with IS on the lens, which I keep reading could cost more.

Then there is the wild card GF1, which can be had for $550(who know for how long) open box. It is a bit more than what I want to spend, but with the evf added it comes in cheaper than the E-PL1 with its evf. Either evf would be an upgrade from the current S2IS. But, then that leads back to the issues of lack of IBIS, and in the case lack of AF with some legacy lenses(which I am told the G10/2 and GH1 can do). But, it smaller, and does have the nice controls and interface like the G10.

So, if I am thinking about keeping cost low in the long run(isn't that part of the reason we all are here going m4/3?), yet learning to expand my photo skills, which camera should I be looking at. Thank you all.

bloodycape's gear list:bloodycape's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow