Owners of the Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 ...

Started Oct 6, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
akin_t
Senior MemberPosts: 2,758
Like?
Owners of the Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 ...
Oct 6, 2010

Looking for a Wide Angle for my 7D; naturally my choices are limited.

Canon EF-S 10-22mm
Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6
Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6

I'm leaning heavily towards the Sigma 8-16mm simply because of the FoV it is capable of providing me. I am aware of its shortcomings; I will not be able to use filters of any kind, (save gelatin filters, which I have no experience with) ... Still there is simply no rival for a crop camera when it comes to UWA.

I guess I would like to know if you guys have any regrets or sometimes wish you went with something else.

How well does this camera nail focus? I know lenses of this type usually have wide depths of field, but still the question stands ... Does it hunt for focus? Does it misfocus often? I've been trying to avoid buying 3rd party lenses for whatever reason but seems like I will break very soon, Canon's offering just isn't as wide as the Sigma.

I will be getting a 5Dmk3 when it comes out so I was hesitant on buying more crop lenses but screw it ... Can't sit idly by and miss captures. Chances are I will still be keeping my 7D when I buy a FF camera anyway.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow