Thom Hogan's comments on D3100

Started Oct 1, 2010 | Discussions thread
Jakes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,481
Like?
Re: More Proof, Stick With Stills with d-SLRS (Re: Thom Hogan's comments on D3100)
In reply to Jack the Ripper, Oct 5, 2010

Jack the Ripper wrote:

Vandyu wrote:

I have to agree. I think what is happening is that DSLRs are being made into the Swiss Army Knife of cameras. When that happens, something suffers. Jack of all trades, master of none. One reason I like my D80 is that it doesn't have video.
--
If Today is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life, How Will You Spend It?

Well then what suffered with the inclusion of video?

From what i see, every Nikon DSLR released has been a substantial improvement (except the D3000 over the D40)

If you could explain exactly where the D90 fell short vs the D80 then maybe that argument would hold some weight. My understanding is the D90 outperformed the D80 in a lot of ways, and at least equaled it in every aspect.

D7000 > D90 > D80
D300s > D300
D5000 > D60
D3100 > D3000 > (arguably) D40.

There has so far never been a single shred of credible evidence that even hints to the idea that the inclusion of Video has caused a single shortcoming on any of the Nikon DSLRs...

How come people complain about video? Where are the complaints of Picmotion? My D90 has picmotion, so does your D80. it plays music to a slide show. Yet nobody complains about it, nobody complains about the virtually worthless in-camera editing tools either.

If you honestly believe that Video has somehow compromised Nikon DSLR's since it came out, you can either stick to the dated D80 which is inferior to every current Nikon DSLR with exception of its ability to AF the AF-D lenses that the D3100 and D5000 can not do.

or you can upgrade and just not use it.

im not trying to be a jerk or anything, but i just dont understand this rediculous idea that video has somehow compromised any of the Nikon DSLRs in any way whatsoever. If anything it will drive advancement for the metering system, processor, and af systems, which we see brand new versions in the upcoming D7000. if it were not for the demand for video, we would likely have seen the same AF, processor, and metering system we have seen for the past 4-5 years.

If you can show me any evidence that the introduction of Video to DSLR has introduced ANY compromises to the DSLR's still photography ability i will happily admit i am wrong and shut up.

The only shortcoming I see is that Nikon is charging you for something you will never use. If it's that big a deal don't get a new camera because all consumer cameras will have it.
--
jakes
WSSA# 107

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow