Started Oct 4, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DRode
Senior MemberPosts: 2,815
Like?
CS5 / Lightroom CPU choice
Oct 4, 2010

I'm buying a new 27" Mac as my current 24" orig alum one is getting a bit tired.

I have 2 options that fit the budget and I'm trying to figure out which one will give me the best CS5/ LR and plug-in performance. I don't care about video or gaming performance. Either one will run circles around my current system.

For about the same price I can get a 2.66Ghz Quad-Core i5 with an ATI Radeon HD 4850 or a 3.2Ghz Dual-Core i3 processor with an ATI Radeon HD 5670. Both Graphics cards have 512MB RAM. The former is a closeout and has 4 somewhat slower cores and the ability to speed up an individual core if the others are under utilized. The latter choice is faster but only has 2 cores.

I would think that the 2.66Ghz Quad-Core processor would be maybe 15-20% faster Rendering RAW files in LR, editing files in CS5 and running fliters/ plugins like Topaz Denoise. I'll be going with 8GB of RAM in either system.

Am I right buying the slower Quad-Core over the faster Dual-Core?

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow