Started Oct 4, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jamesdak
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,827
Like?
Photographing Bicycles
Oct 4, 2010

Wanted to ask this in the open forum but am still banned after a question I asked many months ago turned into a political battle. I didn't play in the battle but was banned none the less. It's my only ban ever and man it's listed a long time.

Anyway, I'm curious about suggestions other have on photographing bicycles. I'll be using my 5D so figured this was the next best place to ask. Currently I've just been throwing a lens on and snapping some shots. But I'd like to step up the quality a bit.

My thoughts are even diffused lighting, tripod, a macro lens for detail and maybe even a polarizer to cut reflections and glare. Does this sound about right. For this it would mean my Leica R 60/2.8 mounted on the 5D.

I have no studio lighting so I'd need to work outside. Any suggestions on the background? How about angles to shoot from and what to concentrate on?

Suggestions on setup like pedal position, shifters, etc would be helpful also. I plan on trying a lot of things but would be glad to hear from others doing these kinds of shots.

Here's a few I snapped the other day when I had a few minutes. Shot with a Leica R 50/2 on the 5D and handheld. Just grabbing the shots during halftime of a football game.

-- hide signature --

Long live the HMS Beagle
Critiques always welcome!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow