Started Oct 3, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Clem Nichols
Contributing MemberPosts: 764Gear list
Like?
7D with Tamron 18-270 vs Micro 4/3 or Sony NEX with long zoom
Oct 3, 2010

Here's my situation: I have a 7D and a bagful of lenses including the 17-55 and the 70-200 which, together, compromise my "walking around" lens. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I'm amazed at how often the 17-55 is too short and the 70-200 is too long. I'm fully aware of the "zoom with your legs" solution, but in the real world of street shooting this isn't always possible, and for whatever reason I find myself frequently changing between these two lenses and occasionally missing shots as a result. It's frustrating to say the least. What I've been considering, therefore, is a one-lens solution, and this has led me to think about the Olympus epl-1 or the Sony NEX-5 with the 14-150 zoom on the OLY or the 18-200 zoom on the NEX-5. (Obviously I've been thinking about trying to reduce weight as well as extra lenses. The NEX-5 with the 18-200 zoom weighs only 28 ounces compared to the 7D with either of the above mentioned lenses which totals over 50 ounces, not to mention what the 7D and both lenses together weighs.) Understand that I am not thinking about getting rid of my Canon gear but merely supplementing it with something a little handier for street fairs, etc., where there is good lighting and no fast action. There's a limit, however, to how much IQ I'm willing to sacrifice for the sake of convenience, so I've also been considering purchasing the Tamron 17-270 lens which in addition to covering the focal length range I'd be shooting 95+ percent of the time also has a "macro" capability. At a total of 53 ounces that combination is almost twice as heavy as the NEX-5 with the 18-200, but if it is going to give me better IQ I can live with the extra weight. Moreover, the Tamron 18-270 would set me back between 5 and 6 hundred dollars where the other two options would run between 11 and 15 hundred, not to mention opening the possibility of buying yet more lenses. I'm just wondering if anyone has had the opportunity of actually comparing these options first hand. I'm not sure that images posted on the internet can be accurately evaluated, and I'm pretty far removed from any large camera store which would let me compare them first hand. Thanks in advance.
--
CN

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow