Started Oct 3, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SeaScout851
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,601
Like?
7D in a hurry
Oct 3, 2010

I'm currently shooting with a 40d which now has over 61k shots on it. Last night I ordered a 7d which according to the B&H web site should get here Thursday. One of the reasons for getting the camera now is an event I'll be shooting two days later. This is the 100th year of Boy Scouting in the USA and I'll be shooting day time and night time shots at a Jamboree celebrating 100 years, next weekend. It's in middle Tennessee. I wanted better high ISO abilities for the night time shots. But I work days and Thursday evening is our regular scout meeting night. Then Friday we leave for the Jamboree. Does not leave much time to learn the camera.

With the 40d I mostly shoot in M or Av mode. I shoot jpg mostly unless for a special event for which I shoot jpg+ RAW. While shooting I often change ISO, focus points, white balance, metering and drive modes. I got to play with a 7d the other day for around 10 minutes. I feel that I'll be able to change everything just as I do on the 40d except for the focus points. I plan on setting up the camera the same as the 40d for things like sharpness, contrast and saturation. I'll be taking both cameras.

So for such a short learning time am I better off leaving the camera in the mode where I can choose individual focus points? Or should I use the clusters? I mostly be shooting people and landscape with lots of people.

Thanks

Andy
--

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow