Started Oct 3, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
damoclesnz
Regular MemberPosts: 408Gear list
Like?
16-35mm II or 17-40mm on a 50D?
Oct 3, 2010

I am patiently waiting for a 5D MkIII and a new 24-70 2.8L. In the meantime I will continue to use my 50D but I dont have a standard zoom (I do most of my shooting with a 50mm prime or the 70-200mm F4 IS).

While I have some spare cash, I am thinking about buying a new general purpose lens. The obvious contenders would be the 15-85mm or the 17-55mm but I would prefer something that I can eventually use on full frame. Either the 17-40 or 16-35mm II seem like good choices. This means I would end up with a travel kit consisiting of the 17-40/16-35 + new 24-70 + 70-200 + 5dMk III (or secondhand 5DMk II).

I would love to hear some opinions (see some photos) of how the 17-40 and 16-35 perform on a 1.6 crop camera. I am mainly interested in the 17-40 as it is cheaper and a little lighter but I would buy the 16-35 II mm if I thought it performed better.

I have tried to research this but have found the results quite conflicting (with a general trend that the 16-35 is better at the wide end and the 17-40 better at the long end). Various users seem to prefer either of the two lenses.

What I would benefit most from is seeing real world photos. Thanks for anything you can offer.

(and sorry - I know this comes up a bit but most of the posts I have found focussed on full-frame. When I go to full frame I will eventually use the lens mainly at f8+ and on a tripod - so the differences may ultimately be less important)

damoclesnz's gear list:damoclesnz's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow