Started Sep 30, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,677Gear list
Like?
video, video, VIDEO!
Sep 30, 2010

Almost everywhere I look in the photo forums the discussion is increasingly video, video, VIDEO! Still photographers are an endangered species. I attribute it all to societal ADHD in the 21st century; the masses can't enjoy a still image but rather it has to jump around in front of them or they lose interest. Sigh.

It's no secret that I am unalterably opposed to video being slipped into DSLRs. Even Panasonic agrees that 4/3 sensors optimized for still photography are not optimum for video; the new AG-AF100 apparently uses a different sensor because still camera 4/3 sensors are not optimum for that camera. That's a good example where the photo manufacturers are telling us that the best sensor for the job is a dedicated one, not a multi-tasker. I want a still camera, not a hybrid that happens to offer stills as an option one moment, then video the next.

Honda makes nice cars. Honda makes nice lawn mowers. Yet, putting mower blades underneath a Civic makes no sense and would be a poor compromise in the back yard.

Leatherman makes nice pocketable multi tools (although I think Gerber's are more nicely manufactured). Anyway, every tool within is a poor compromise to the dedicated tool it emulates.

A DSLR with video is a compromised tool, and it appears that still photographers will have little choice but to purchase these compromised toys in the future.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow