Started Sep 30, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joofa
Senior MemberPosts: 1,068
Like?
3 x 10 nm RGB filters; metamerism, and color reconstruction
Sep 30, 2010

Recent discussions on this forum regarding RGB filters, demosaicing / reconstruction, and metamerism reminded me of some data I once accumulated in 22 bands of 10 nm each from 470 nm (Blue) to 680 nm (Red) using a monochrome camera, in an open environment, without any glare control, etc. I thought it might be instructive to present some of it here.

Shown below are 3 of those "colors" with 10 nm filter bandwidth centered at 470 nm (Blue), 540 nm (Green), and 680 nm (Red) acquired under a "Tungsten-like" light source.

The three images on the left above are not psuedo-color, or synthetic / simulated images. They are real images acquired at the wavelengths mentioned above. The image on the right depicts a color representation reconstructed using only these 3 narrow-band wavelengths (10 nm), instead of the "usual" wideband RGB filters in typical color cameras. The reconstruction method was very rudimentary, quick and for a simplistic metameric illustration purposes only to visualize a subspace of a "fuller" color space.

Note:   If you want to compare the reconstructed image with a standard Macbeth chart, then, please notice that the 4 images above are flipped horizontally.

Enjoy,

Joofa

-- hide signature --

Dj Joofa

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow