ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
f1fan2010
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
MeteringExposure Problem with New Tamron 70-300 VC
Sep 29, 2010

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could provide some feedback for this perplexing problem. I recently got a Tamron 70-300 VC and have been taking some test shots around the neighborhood. While I have been very impressed with the sharpness throughout the focal range, I have noticed a strange metering or exposure problem at lower focal lengths--namely 70mm. The photos taken with the Tamron at 70mm seem to be very overexposed, very blown out. I am shooting in P on my D5000 and the camera is metering automatically. Nearly identical photos with every other lens I have (Nikkors mostly) are metering correctly and the exposures are correct.

I can mostly fix the issue in PP by just lowering the overall exposure of all photos taken at lower focal lengths with the Tamron, but that seems to be a hassle. Here is a link to a thread demonstrating (in a much more scientific manner) the exact problem I have been having:

http://forum.photozone.de/index.php?/topic/355-tamron-70-300-vc-exposure-issues/

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice? The local store I bought it from was not very helpful in offering to exchange the lens, but Tamron USA said that they would take it in for service if I wish. Any ideas?

Here are a smattering of uncorrected shots from the Tamron at 70mm:

Now here are basically the same shots, taken immediately afterwards, on my 16-85 nikkor: Now, on several of these I would dial up some exposure in post, but never as much as appeared in the Tamron shots straight out of the camera.

And finally, here are two shots taken with the Tamron from the store (I know that I had +.3EV dialed in, that was an accident, just note the overexposure in comparison to the Nikkor with the same +.3EV)

And here are the two Nikkor 16-85 shots with +.3EV

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow