100/75-300mm? what is panasonic and olympus thinking?

Started Sep 29, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kev777zero
Senior MemberPosts: 1,476Gear list
Like?
100/75-300mm? what is panasonic and olympus thinking?
Sep 29, 2010

Ok I am new to photography so I might not understand a normal camera company's strategy, but I just find it rather odd as to why panasonic and olympus are both making super-telezoom lenses at the same time? The marketing just doesn't make sense.

First of all, the m4/3 system is clearly lacking a nice standard fast zoom lens like the 12-60mm for 4/3 or 18-70mm for nikon. Or do both companies assume most people that buy m4/3 systems cameras are interested in wildlife bird hunting?

Second of all, why at the same time? Can't they make a more collaborative effort to supply a wider range of m4/3 lenses? Should help their revenue as well.

Or is there some sort of technological barrier in making zoom lens with large apertures like 12-60mm F2.8-4 in m4/3 format? I just don't understand.

And given that you can get a 70-300mm 4/3 lens (which supports CDAF) + MMF2 for less than HALF the price of 75-300mm m4/3, why would people bother getting the m4/3 version? I know it's probably much lighter, but both r bulky enough to defeat the purpose of m4/3 convenience, and > $400 difference?

As a side note. why is olympus giving up on 4/3 format? 4/3 lenses have dual compatibility on either systems (w/ mount), they just need to figure out how to firmware update/make lens that work well (AF, IQ etc...) on either bodies!

kev777zero's gear list:kev777zero's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N NEX5R Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow