Started Sep 29, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nivedita
Regular MemberPosts: 329
Like?
Canon 7D Lens Choices
Sep 29, 2010

I have finally decided to buy a Canon 7D. Currently I am a Pentax user and decided to get the Canon 7D as my other camera (I will keep the Pentax systems). A couple of weeks back I have submitted some questions and Canon 7D forum users were very much helpful in answering my questions.

Since my budget is around $3500 (plus another $250 - if I stretch it), I am thinking of the following lens combinations

Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS HSM - I have used Tamron 17-50 in the past (in Pentax world), but the Sigma seems to be nicer (with HSM and OS)

Tamron 70-200 F2.8 - I do not know whether it is a good choice. I am planning to use it for some portraits, candid shots, street photography and some event photography. My main concern is the slower auto-focus that was reported by many people.

Sigma 50mm F1.4- All reviews suggest that this is the best 50mm f1.4 out there

It is funny that none of my lens choices are Canon. I thought of going for the Canon 15-85mm, but the constant f2.8 preferred over the variable aperture lens like Canon 15-85mm.

Another option I thought was to go with the new Sigma 70-200 F2.8 OS HSM. In that I won't be buying the Sigma 50mm F1.4 (because of the budget). Any comments on the new Sigma?

Other lens combination that I thought was Canon 17-55 + Tamron 70-300 VC USD + Sigma 50mm. In that case I will miss the costant aperture 70-200 lens (which can be very versatile).

Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated..

-Nivedita

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow