Started Sep 28, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bob Paterson
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?
practicality of viewfinders
Sep 28, 2010

I'm afraid I definitely come down on the side of OVF rather than EVF. This was brought home to me on Saturday when I went to Upton Park to see the mighty West Ham beat Spurs. I took my Panny with me rather than my 700 and discovered that it was a big mistake.

The reason for my saying this is that if you're seated in a stadium, it's not easy (for me anyway) to get composition arranged without stretching my arms out a bit and others seated next to you tend to take a dim view of this.

It also means that you're more likely to be jostled and I'm sure it must be harder to keep the camera still with your arms extended rather than "tucked in" as it would be when using a OVF.

I've used both cameras at my local rugby club and find it easier to use the 700 than the Panasonic when there's strong sunlight about as this affects the EVF more than an OVF.

I accept that there's a certain familiarity of procedures that prejudices our feelings towards any task we carry out and this may be one of the reasons I prefer OVF (because I've had it for so long) but I use the Panny quite a lot as it is a "pocketable" camera and I really enjoy using it but find I need that bit more space and time to use it rather than the 700.

I really don't think I can be accused of being a Luddite as I can see benefits in both systems (I've taken some very good macro shots with the Panny in half the time I would have needed for the corresponding 700 shot) but my ideal replacement for the 700 would have OVF rather than EVF.

Just my humble opinion.

Bob

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow