Started Sep 27, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rsn48
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,130
Like?
One fix for AF on 5K mk 2
Sep 27, 2010

I posted this in another thread but thought I would give this idea its own independent "life" with its own thread as it might help others out.

In 1990 I bought the Canon 10s camera; it was interesting for a host of reasons, but I won't bore you with them. One feature I used often was the red beam which is found on flashes now (not on the camera), this beam aided focus in low light and worked well.

Here is a photo of the Canon 10s:

You will notice it has the red beam area found only on flashes. What I will do is set my Metz 48 AF-1 flash to its lowest setting, the flash turned down by 7 stops to its lowest power. With the head turned away, the red beam will aid in more effective focus in low light, when I take a pic, the flash with a small childs sock over the top (and turned down 7 stops) doesn't throw any light.

If you want a cheap fix, purchase a used Canon 220 EX flash - note: this isn't the latest 270 EX flash - as it has this AF red beam. Tape over the flash and just use it for its red focusing aid. This fix should cost around $80.

I don't know why Canon started leaving off the red beam from cameras, I guess because they ran out of room on our newer more technologically laden cameras and instead put them on the flash.

-- hide signature --

An excellent lens lasts a lifetime, an excellent DSLR, not so long.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow