Any other a300 to a550 upgraders dissapointed?

Started Sep 27, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
27T
27T
Regular MemberPosts: 392Gear list
Like?
Any other a300 to a550 upgraders dissapointed?
Sep 27, 2010

Hey all,
Got my a550 4 days ago and I'm not too sure I'm happy with it.

Maybe I was expecting too much. I am still waiting for that "WOW, what a difference", but it's just not there.

I haven't been able to do any controlled comparisons between the two yet, but have swapped lenses and matched settings.

What I have observed:
The 550 doesn't seem to focus any better or faster.
A lot of the photos have a slightly diffused-halo look to them.

It also seems that the iso is off- meaning with the same settings in aperture mode the 550 yields slower shutter speeds.

Throw in some occasional over exposure also, not just a little, I mean surprisingly overexposed- a lot.

I have taken over 200 shots with maybe half of them being mirrored with the a300. I get the feeling there isn't anything the 550 can do better than the 300. Yes it has the live view manual focus and faster frame rates, but...

Have I expected too much?
Do I have a dud?

I wasn't planning on posting until I did my controlled comparison shots but had some time at work and this has really got my undies in a bunch. I hope to have some shots up tomorrow evening.

What are your thoughts?
Thanks,
JS

27T's gear list:27T's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow