Started Sep 26, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SimonV
Regular MemberPosts: 182Gear list
Like?
Alternative to Canon 28-300L
Sep 26, 2010

I've been using Canon's 28-300L lens for quite a while now, and while it's extremely versatile and handy, and the picture quality is great (I use it on a 5d Mark II), I've reached the point at which I'd like to try lenses which produce more detail and better quality.

Could anyone give me some advice on what would be a good replacement set for the 28-300? The quality would have to be significantly better to make it worthwhile.

I've been looking at the 70-200 F4 IS, which is sort of an obvious choice. However, when looking at samples (from a lot of sources) I'm not that convinced that the image quality is THAT much better. The convenience of the focal lengths of the 28-300 and the great image quality surpasses the slightly better quality and sharpness but severely narrower focal range of the 70-200. The 2.8 version would be better for low light but it's way more expensive and not as sharp as the F4 version.

I've also looked at the 135 F/2, which seems to produce awesome results. The fixed focal length has it's obvious pros and cons, but the thing which keeps me from buying this one is the lack of IS. My Canon 50mm 1.8 isn't that stable in low light, and at 135 F/2 the stability will be even more of an issue. I don't use tripods a lot so IS is an important thing for me.

I have a 17-40L which covers my wide angle. It produces great results and is clearly sharper than the 28-300L too.

If anyone has experience with the 28-300 and has switched to a multi-lens setup, or even if not, I'd be happy to hear some advice. Thanks!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow