Started Sep 25, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NavinRJohnson
Forum MemberPosts: 89
Like?
What is wrong with me (or my GH1) ??? Not pleased with IQ
Sep 25, 2010

I purchased a GH1 a few months ago, along with a 20mm 1.7 and the 14-140 lens. I haven't had a lot of time to play around with it, but generally, I've been quite displeased with the quality of the images I have been taking. My only frame of reference is the Nikon D200, with Nikon 18-200 and Sigma 35mm 1.4 lenses, which I had for a few years.

Here's a case in point w/my GH1. I've taken the following shot dozens of times with both the 20mm 1.7 and 14-140 lenses (GH1 body). No matter how I set the ISO, aperture, shutter speed, metering mode and with or without my ND filter on the 14-140, the image always turns out milky, washed out and flat. To my naked eye, I do not see any of the milky 'haze' that appears in these photos -- the background is very green as I sit here and look out. The images simply lack the color, detail and 'punch' I would expect to see -- they almost look like they were taken with my Blackberry! The last one (with the 20mm 1.7) perhaps turned out the best, but still far from what I would expect to see. Strangely, if I take a video of this scene with the GH1, it looks more detailed, vibrant and three dimensional.

What am I doing wrong here?

I hate to admit it, but I am finding that I end up trashing a lot of my shots taken with the GH1. I never did that with my Nikon; I could just snap away and usually I was quite pleased with the results ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/59163978@N00/sets/72157624908398081 ).

I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with my camera. I am far from being a great photographer, but I just had such better luck with the D200.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow