Started Sep 25, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jrasp
Regular MemberPosts: 156
Like?
Help on gymnastics meet settings please
Sep 25, 2010

My daughter had a mock meet yesterday to prepare for the real meet next week and I took this as an opportunity to see if I could dial in the camera for the meet so I would be prepared...The gym is a very hard environment to take photos in: Mercury lamps in rows on the ceiling spaced 30-40 ft apart, just enough to create uneven lighting. Walls are insulated with something that has a plastic, off white sheen. Events are at varying distances away from where I can be, although I may be able to get permission from the coach/owner to be closer. No flash allowed, obviously, for safety of the gymnasts.

So I have a fast lens; Canon's 70-200 2.8 L IS II... and it is attached to an XSI body.

Last year, I didn't have the lens and was generally disappointed with the results of efforts because I had to use such a high ISO and still couldn't get to a fast enough shutter speed to capture good images... The lens has helped, but I am still needing ISO 1600 which has noise (at least with an XSI, it does)

I've got a sample, but it isn't at the settings I'm probably going to use:

I'm probably going to use AV with spot metering because the walls are fooling the camera into underexposing the gymnast? Or should I go with Center?

Is the noise something I'm just going to have to live with?

I'd like to get to a faster shutter so jumps, flips, spins are crisp, but I don't think I can get there with current setup. Thoughts? (even if the thought is a recommended camera change...) Thanks

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow