Started Sep 25, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Yanko Kitanov
Senior MemberPosts: 2,638
Like?
What I think of the X100
Sep 25, 2010

I am no pro photographer and no engineer either, so this is a humble Fuji user's opinion regarding this one. I am not going to give any judgement and verdicts here as I am in no position to do this, unless of course the aim of this post was starting a riot

What I see is:

• In terms of positioning: A step that Fuji had to take to keep up with the rest of the pack, that already have mirrorless APS-C ; m4/3 cameras out there.

• In terms of operations: I see some really, really fast and easy to operate camera, still the solution is one that will attract many new guys in the Fuji crowd and on the other hand leave many of the current P&S level Fuji users disappointed as their personal level in using cams and taking pictures is simply not up to such a design.

• In terms of design: Fashion is cyclic which is true for camera design just as well as for clothing. Fuji did not do anything new here either it's just following the crowd - we already have the Olympus Pen cams showing some retro design we have the Leica X1 out there too, we have even P&S designed this way (Pentax released one of them the Optio I10), Samsung has two recent models moving in this direction too. I personally think Fuji did a good job in providing a cam that will attract many higher end users with it's older RF like design.

• In terms of performance, I expect really good IQ from a Sony APS-C sensor finely tweaked by Fuji (It is not a Fuji one I believe, as the R&D of a new sensor by Fuji makes this statement out of the question in financial modelling terms, unless they planed to enter mass DSLR again, but they don't) by the way we saw what Pentax did with such a Sony sensor on the K-x, outperforming in terms of higher ISO IQ cams like the enthusiast Nikon D300 using the same sensor, just astonishing. Adding the EXR technology to the mix with the APS-C sized question is an interesting move, will it contribute as much as with smaller sensors, will there be PB to 6MP, how well will this affect the overall retention of detail/noise/DR - this are some questions that make me really, really eagerly anticipate the review of this cam.

• In terms of downsides: Fixed lens has it's benefits, but to me it has more downsides, with such a body and sensor it is a lovely opportunity to use tons of glass available from old FL, M42, R mount, to new M mount, etc. I really would go ahead and buy this cam if it had interchangeable lenses, now I will not, so this is the real deal-breaker for me. Also a downside is the lack of image stabilization, this is no marketing feature and a few stops with lower ISO makes a Really big difference quite often.

• In terms of optics: As this is a fixed lens cam I am sure it was all optimized to a level where there will be practically no CA/PF and minimum distortion. Also the glass is pretty fast for its FL and I expect it to be sharp even wide open, we already have examples of how well can single glass optimization work on Sigma's DP models.

• In terms of competition: Leica X1 - quite similar in many terms, the Oly Pens, the Sigma DPs, with a new 15.4MP Foveon sensor already announced, which will definitely come into a DP body later these seem like a huge competition

Well just my thought's basically nothing new here and of course I may be wrong in some places and our opinions can differ.

Cheers!
--
1/25sec. and that's all...anything can fit in it

Regards,
Yanko Kitanov
Янко Китанов
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/yankokitanov

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
WowNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow