D700 shutter actuation count easily reset?

Started Sep 25, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hsuve
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
D700 shutter actuation count easily reset?
Sep 25, 2010

I've been looking to purchase a used D700 in South Korea due to the exchange rate working in my favor. I saw a used D700 for 2,000,000KRW (approx. $1,750), and upon inspection the camera looked great. I took a photo and uploaded it to my computer, and found that shutter actuations were at 3,474, which is quite low considering I found D700 cameras at other stores selling for 2,250,000KRW used with 20,000+ actuations. However, the file name of the image file was 700_5704.jpg, making me wonder how the image file sequence exceeded that of the shutter actuations in the EXIF. Is it possible to artificially set the file name sequence to begin at a higher number than 0? Or is it possible that the shutter actuation count was somehow hacked and reset? I understand that shutter count certainly isn't everything, but this does concern me a bit before I make the leap of faith and drop what is to me a significant deal of money for gear without a warranty. Any help would be most appreciated!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow