ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Noogy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,468Gear list
Like?
Want just 3-4 lenses, need advice...
Sep 23, 2010

Hi Guys,

I bumped up to 7D seven months ago, after almost two years with the 400D. I generally like portrait and travel photog (landscape and street), plus video in those segments as well. To not remove the joy from traveling, which is the original reason I like to travel, I have been thinking of just keeping 3, max of 4, lenses with my 7D. I like the great outdoors but due to the size of our family and social network, I am often likewise tasked to photograph gatherings, reunions, etc.

My current lenses are (all Canon except where indicated):

• 17-40mm f/4L

• 50mm f/1.4 USM

• 28-135mm IS USM

• 55-250mm IS

• Tamron 10-24mm

Here are my thoughts re how to get to just 3-4 lenses:

1 Give up the 28-135mm and the 17-40mm L in favor of the 24-105mm f/4L; this does not give me the width of 17-40mm and I will miss the 135mm, but then it means one less lens to carry. Question is - does 24mm suffice for most small to mid-sized group portraits?

2 I should look for a lens that doubles up as a good zoom and a good portrait. I love my 50mm f/1.4, very happy that I upgraded to it from the 50mm f/1.8 but if I can give it up and the 55-250mm without compromising on image quality and lowlight capabilities (of the 50mm especially) in favor of just having to carry one lens, I am open to ideas.

It follows that the 3-4 lenses I choose to keep will be good for videos too. This is yet another reason I am hesitant to let go of the 50mm f/1.4 because it is fast, does good video in low-light settings, easy to manually focus and provides creamy background blur.

By selling 2-3 lenses, I only need to add a few hundred dollars to get new one/s - that is the ideal scenario. I would prefer not to fork out anything more than $500-700.

To recap: I want a lens for landscapes, solo and group portraits (static or street) and occasional zoom into flying creatures and distant lighthouses.

Your ideas will be appreciated, thanks in advance. If you have similar photography interests as I do, all the more I would like to hear from you!

-- hide signature --

Noogy
http://www.pbase.com/joshcruzphotos
Canon EOS 7D, Canon EOS 400D, Canon D10, Lumix TZ5, Kodak V1253

Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM +9 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow