New to macro splash pictures

Started Sep 22, 2010 | Discussions thread
duckfat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,166
Like?
High speed sync?
In reply to Andy Phillips, Sep 23, 2010

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I've been experimenting a bit with sb600s and a D700. Flash power is reduced because it has to pulse light as the 2 shutter curtains travel so close together at high speeds where a conventional single burst would leave half the frame underexposed.A 'normal' flash lasts around 1/10,000 sec, but the fastest the d700 can sync is 1/320 sec before the 2nd curtain follows the first. You'll have plenty of light shooting at 1/8000 second depending on yr aperture.
I may have the wrong end of the stick, but it just might be helpful.

D700, 85/1.8. 1/8000 sec @ f/2 single sb600 camera right, triggered by pop-up flash.

Edit - on re-reading the OP I see I'm going off on a tangent. Apologies. Timing the shot is tricky, especially if you're using liquids that mix and need replacing. You can set a tap to drip regularly into a bowl and anticipate pretty well though, and it's fairly straightforward to anticipate the suspended droplet rebounding from the crown shaped splash..
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8189967@N04/sets/72157616447984719/show/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow